Instructions for Preparing the Commercial Invoice
- EXPORTER- the name and address of the principal party responsible for effecting export from the United States. The exporter as named on the Validated Export License.
- CONSIGNEE- the name and address of the person/company to whom the goods are shipped for the designated end use, or the party so designated on the Export License.
- INTERMEDIATE CONSIGNEE- the name and address of the party who effects delivery of the merchandise to the ultimate consignee, or the party so named on the Export License.
- FORWARDING AGENT- the name and address of the duly authorized forwarder acting as agent for the exporter.
- COMMERCIAL INVOICE NO.- Commercial Invoice number assigned by the exporter.
CUSTOMER PURCHASE ORDER NO.- overseas customer's reference of order number.
- B/L, AWB NO.- Bill of Lading, or Air Waybill, number if known.
- COUNTRY OF ORIGIN- country of origin of shipment.
- DATE OF EXPORT- actual date of export of merchandise.
- TERMS OF PAYMENT- describe the terms, conditions, and currency of settlement as agreed upon the vendor and purchaser per the Pro Forma Invoice, customer Purchase Order, and/or Letter of Credit.
- EXPORT REFERENCE- may be used to record other useful information, e.g. - other reference numbers, special handling requirements, routing requirements, etc.
- AIR/OCEAN PORT OF EMBARKATION- ocean port/pier, or airport to be used for embarkation of merchandise.
- EXPORTING CARRIER/ROUTE- record airline carrier/flight number or vessel name/shipping line to be used for the shipment of merchandise.
- PACKAGES- record number of packages, cartons, or containers per description line.
- QUANTITY- record total number of units per description line.
- NET WEIGHT/GROSS WEIGHT- record total net weight and total gross weight (includes weight of container) in kilograms per description line.
- DESCRIPTION OF MERCHANDISE- provide a full description of items shipped, the type of container (carton, box, pack, etc.), the gross weight per container, and the quantity and unit of measure of the merchandise.
- UNIT PRICE/TOTAL VALUE- record the unit price of the merchandise per the unit of measure; compute the extended total value of the line.
- PACKAGE MARKS- record in this Field, as well as on each package, the package number (e.g. - 1 of 7, 3 of 7, etc.), shippers company name, country of origin (e.g. - made in the USA), destination port of entry, package weight in kilograms, package size (length x width x height), and shipper's control number (e.g. - C/I number; optional).
- MISC. CHARGES- record any miscellaneous charges which are to be paid for by the customer - export transportation, insurance, export packaging, inland freight to pier, etc.
- CERTIFICATIONS- any certifications or declarations required of the shipper regarding any information recorded on the commercial invoice.